To ensure that your feet are comfortable and healthy, it’s essential that your extra large shoes fit your feet properly. Correctly fitting shoes should allow your feet to work normally and shouldn’t restrict their movement. While the right shoe size is important, there are other tips that you can follow to help you get the best possible fit.
- Make sure there is 1cm of space between your longest toe and the end of the shoe.
- Make sure there is enough ‘wiggle’ room in the shoe.
- Try on both shoes and walk a few steps to see if they rub or pinch.
- If the shoe slips at the back, push your foot to the back of the shoe and then try altering the laces or strap to improve the fit.
- There should be enough room to accommodate your whole foot. You shouldn’t feel any pressure on the joints on the side of your foot.
If you have a problem with your feet it’s a good idea to seek advice from a registered podiatrist. To find one, contact your GP for an NHS referral or visit www.feetforlife.org for a list of private practitioners.